Success

For the past week I made decisions that I never saw coming my way so soon. I thought it would take much later for me face them but I floated with the current and I'm glad that I did.

Many times I've thought about my decision, doubted it, supported it, doubted it again but in the end I decided to root for it (read: myself) because doubts and fear won't get me anywhere. It'll only remain heavy in my heart while washing my self-confidence down the drain, spiralling down the never-ending gutter.

It's because of that decision I know I've set a solid foundation for my career and boosted my first step into financial indepence. And that's the scary part.

You can say (and I admit) it's the fear of success.

"People are afraid to pursue their most important dreams, because they feel that they don’t deserve them, or that they’ll be unable to achieve them. We, their hearts become fearful just thinking of loved ones who go away forever, or of moments that could have been good, but weren’t, or of treasures that might have been found but were forever hidden in the sands. Because, when these things happen, we suffer terribly."

Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

It happens to me and it is this fear that's holding me back from what I have the potential to gain. It's so scary that it immobilise you in your tracks while whispering doubts into your ear as you step outside of your comfort zone.

But I realised that everything's going to be just fine. What is there to be afraid of when it's not for sure that those threats exist in the first place?!

How can I be sure that my future employer would be disappointed in me when I'm willing to work my butt off?

How would I know that things would go wrong half-way when in fact everything's going to plan?

How would I know that I wouldn't be able to make ends meet when everything's just fine?


Rather than spend your time and energy worrying about things that don't exist, enjoy the things that do.

I've set on a career and secured a job before graduation. Shouldn't I be rejoicing it rather than fear about what could go wrong?

As silly as it may sound to some, I think there are many out there who share the same kind of fear of what lies ahead, the sacrifices we have to make, the unknown obstacles that drop on us unexpectedly and the things that we are not comfortable with...yet.

But tell your heart this:

“The fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.”

Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Not doing the things that you want or holding yourself back from the experiences that will bring your far in life because of fear would only bring more suffering. It brings no satisfaction at all.

Even though I've just made that first step towards a great life and haven't seen its rewards yet, I know that what's more important is that I didn't hold myself back and there will be no looking back wondering if I could've had a better life.

All I had to do was make that positive decision.

So can YOU.

...
..
.

Here's an inspiring photo by tdoxie aptly named, Don't Fear What Lies Ahead.



Thank you for reading this article! Do share your thoughts, stories or comments. Feedback is highly valued here at The Present Gift. Feel free to drop a comment or e-mail me – just click on the Contact tab at the top of the page for my details.

3 comments:

me said...

its funny how when I was feeling really heavy hearted and i decided to check out ur blog. :)

I am currently in a situation of wanting to do something, but do not have the courage to do so. I REALLY want to do it.but i'm really NOT prepared to receive the bad outcome. I've been through the bad and it took me a very long time to recover.

I know that there is a 50-50 to my decision. 50 - the good, 50 - the bad. So i must have some faith and confidence that i might receive the good outcome right? I've considered about that.

But bottom line is, if the bad ever takes place, i don't know if i have the strength to cope with it. its not like i have nothing to lose if i do go about doing what i want to do. i have things at stake. sigh. its not easy.

however, after reading this post.. im feeling the 'push' to do what i want to do. :) i'm not 100% decided yet.but i'm really thinking hard about it. so thanks for the this post! i absolutely love the quote "People are afraid to pursue their most important dreams, because they feel that they don’t deserve them, or that they’ll be unable to achieve them"

so thank you once again. :)

Grace said...

You're most welcome. I'm glad that my post helped 'push' you to do what you want. May you find that strength in your will to pursue the things you want. All the best Tina. :)

Grace said...

Hi Aart,

Thanks for dropping by and sharing the link. :)

You have a nice day, too!

Copyright © 2008 - The Present Gift - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template